Most clear burglar bars, including Polycarbonate bars, are fitted to windows with commercially available screws, using tools you can buy at any hardware store. This makes them easy to remove by burglars that arrive prepared with the right equipment. Trellidor Polycarbonate Bars are installed using a unique tamper-proof fixing system that is not easy to dismantle with conventional tools.
This turns them into protective security barriers as well as a way of keeping monkeys and baboons out of homes.
This is not to say that Polycarbonate burglar bars are as strong as steel or aluminium burglar proofing. But if transparent burglar bars like Polycarbonate bars are manufactured in the right way, they are definitely a deterrent to burglars looking for an easy way into a home.
What are tamper-proof fixings?
Tamper resistant fixings like screws, nuts, and bolts, are designed so that they require specific types of tools to fit or remove them. These tools are not easily available to the general public. Only authorised technicians with the correct type of tool can remove them.
These fixings are designed to prevent theft and vandalism. They are engineered to resist attempts to remove them without the correct tools. You can’t use just any screwdriver or other means of removing freely-available types of fixings and fastenings. They have to be removed with the same type of tools they were fitted with.
Trellidor Polycarbonate Bars are fitted with tamper-proof fixings to provide an extra layer of protection. They also have an additional strengthening feature: a full, four-sided patented frame. This aluminium frame makes the Polycarbonate bars stronger under attack. Most Polycarbonate bar systems are not framed.
The frame on the Trellidor product protects the Polycarbonate bars. The bars are inserted into the frame and fixings are hidden inside the frame.
Another strengthening feature of Trellidor Polycarbonate Bars is that their frame has corner cleats. These cleats join the edges of the frame together so that there are no gaps for burglars to take advantage of when trying to break through the burglar bar.
Polycarbonate burglar bars features
The features that make Polycarbonate bars popular as a form of burglar proofing are:
- The Polycarbonate panels are transparent and barely noticeable.
- They keep monkeys and baboons out of the home.
- They act as a deterrent because burglars have to break through them to get inside. This is risky as it takes time and makes a lot of noise, which could attract attention and they’ll get caught in the act
- They are quick and easy to install next to windows.
- They do not look like burglar bars, so homes don’t look cluttered and jail-like with Polycarbonate bars on the windows.
- They are easy to wipe clean when dirty or dusty.
- They do not affect views out of windows.
Trellidor Polycarbonate Bars offer the following benefits in addition to the ones already mentioned:
- The gaps between the Polycarbonate panels can be adjusted to accommodate window handles or hinges.
- The high-quality Polycarbonate strips are UV resistant and are not prone to yellowing over time.
- The framed units are fixed into the substrate around the window for extra strength and stability, not into the window frames.
- The aluminium frame can be powder coated in a colour of choice.
- The Trellidor powder coating system includes a pre-treatment process that enhances corrosion and UV resistance, so the Polycarbonate Bars can be installed inland and at the coast.
- The high-quality finish increases the lifespan of the barrier.
- Every Trellidor Polycarbonate Bar unit is custom-made for an excellent fit and installed by professional technicians.
- Customers are provided with a dependable warranty on each installation.
- Reliable after-sales service is provided by the Trellidor franchise or branch that carries out the installation.
Where to use clear burglar bars
Transparent burglar bars are not ideal for high crime risk areas, but they are perfect for:
- Apartments above ground floor, where they keep out monkeys and baboons and also protect children from falling out of windows.
- Second storey windows in houses, for the same reasons as apartments.
- Secure estates, where monkeys, baboons and petty theft are a problem.
- Estates that prohibit other forms of visible burglar bars.
- Commercial buildings such as hospitals or schools to stop accidental falls and as part of the health and safety protocol.
- Gated communities with a low crime rate.
- Homes where there are several layers of security, such as a burglar alarm, perimeter wall, driveway gate and armed response.
Price of tamper-proof Polycarbonate bars
Like all Trellidor security barriers, Trellidor Polycarbonate Bar is custom-made to fit the opening and its specific requirements, so there is no standard price. Trellidor security barriers are available through authorised Trellidor franchises countrywide, and they will gladly measure the opening and give a quotation.