TRADITIONAL TRELLIDOR OVERVIEW
These sliding security gates have been best sellers for over 45 years. They have a robust double trellis design that opens and closes smoothly and easily. Trellidor customers can choose between steel or aluminium sliding gates. There is a choice of either the Trellidor deadlock or slamlock. These expanding gates can be custom-made to fit doors, windows, passages, patios, hatches and most other building openings, keeping them safe from intrusion.
With easy but strong locking systems, our Traditional Trellidor security gates are built with a neat, compact sash for strength under attack and smooth operation.
TRADITIONAL TRELLIDOR BENEFITS
Traditional Trellidor Security Gates VS Roller Shutter Doors
Traditional Trellidor security gates slide from side to side by hand. They are locked using a key with a dead lock or slammed closed with a slam lock. Traditional Trellidor security gates have a bottom track for extra strength and easy sliding. You can see through the gates when they are closed and locked.
By contrast, roller shutter doors glide up and down inside side guides. They can be automated and operated at the touch of a button. They do not need a bottom track. You can’t see through locked down roller shutter doors unless some of the solid slats have been replaced with punched viewing panels.
Traditional Trellidor security gates and roller shutter doors both provide excellent protection so to help decide which is best for you, read this ARTICLE.
Spoilt for choice
Choose a colour to suit your unique home or office decor style from our flexible range of options.
TRADITIONAL TRELLIDOR TECHNICAL
South Africa’s most popular sliding security gate
These sliding security gates have been best sellers for over 40 years ago. They have a
robust double trellis design that opens and closes smoothly and easily. Trellidor
customers can choose between steel or aluminium sliding security gates. There is a
choice of either the Trellidor deadlock or slamlock. These expanding security
gates can be custom-made to fit doors, windows, passages, patios, hatches and
most other building openings, keeping them safe from intrusion.
- Powder coated galvanized steel and aluminum trellis-style security gates
- Custom made to fit your door, window or other openings
- Engineered with strengthening features to resist attack
- Neat, compact sash designed for strength and smooth operation
- Corrosion and UV resistant even at the coast
- Several models to choose from according to risk profile and budget
- High end models internationally certified for strength under attack
- Fitted with patented Trellidor locking systems
- Carry warranties against defective workmanship, materials and corrosion
- Special options such as curved units are available
OPTIONS AND ATTRIBUTES
This is a unique locking system designed specifically for retractable Trellidor T700, T800, Trellidor Plus – T900 & Trellidor Trojan II – T1000 security barriers.
This draw-bolt lock has a single keyhole with multiple locking points in the lock-stile.
- You only need one key to lock or unlock the security gate, saving time when under stress in an emergency
- The multiple locking points provide maximum protection against attempted break-ins
- Multiple locking points make it difficult for criminals to know where to attack
One of the most noticeable differences between Trellidor security barriers and other products on the market is the shape of our profiles. We use a unique roll-forming process on all steel components used to make our barriers.
All Trellidor steel components are roll-formed into u-channel profiles with reinforced edges rolled back 180°.
- Superb corrosion resistance as we’re able to coat all surfaces. Our competitors use square tubing, which is difficult to coat inside, resulting in the product being vulnerable to corrosion from the inside out
- Increased flexibility and strength
Retractable Gates gates are hung from the top track and the security gate wheels fit inside this track. This ensures the barrier operates smoothly with low friction, reducing the need for maintenance. The wheel holders are made from glass-filled Nylon 6/6 which, because of its strength and resistance to corrosion is used for engine parts in the motor industry. Every upright on our security gates contains a wheel holder to evenly distribute the weight of the gate, increasing strength and reducing wear and tear.
Trellidor used purpose-
designed rivets to help provide optimum
strength in our security gates and window
grilles. Many competitors opt for normal ‘off-the-shelf’ blind rivets which have a low tensile strength, allowing the barrier’s components to be pulled apart relatively easily. Our rivets avoid this weakness and help to improve the strength of our protective barriers.
- Stronger than standard blind rivets commonly used in our industry.
- Improves the strength of our units.
The bottom track is an area commonly targeted for attempted break-ins. Trellidor has designed a unique track along with sill guides to help combat this potential attack point.
Our bottom track features a low profile aluminium ‘T’ track designed to meet international standards
- Increases strength & resistance to the uprights being pulled off the track.
- Self-cleaning as it prevents the accumulation of dirt.
- Scuff resistant.
- Ease of operation
- Reduces chance of tripping.
- Helps prevent corrosion.
A strong Trellidor slam lock is available as an
alternative option for the Trojan TX retractable
security gate for those that prefer this system
to a dead lock.
The sash of a trellis door or security gate is made up of the upright bars, the links that cross over these bars, and the rivets that join them all together. Trellidor Retractable trellis gates are strengthened using double uprights (front and back) with links that cross over and connect three upright bars (competitors usually join only two uprights together). Our trellis doors operate smoothly and stack neatly to the side as a result of these features.
- The system increases the strength of the unit
- It ensures that the unit does not snag curtains
- It provides for a neater stack with no exposed edges
Every component making up a security barrier including security gate screws must add to its ability to resist an attack by an intruder. Trellidor uses unique screws that can only be fitted or removed with a custom-made drive socket to help reduce the risk of break-ins. Our security gate screws are also longer than usual to provide extra pull-out resistance for our security gates and burglar bars.
Our fixings are of a unique design that can only be fitted or removed with a custom-made drive socket. This increased tamper resistance minimises break-ins.
The shoulder slides are purpose designed nylon components that joins the trellis to the framework of Trellidor security barriers. The shoulder slides fit snugly into the framework channel, which ensures smooth operation and enhances the overall security and integrity of the barrier.
Shoulder slides manufactured from Nylon 6/6 material.
- Helps provides maximum strength
- Ensures smooth & silent operation
- Enhances corrosion resistance
- Highly durable
Fully framed security barriers and gates are able to resist attack better than semi-framed or unframed gates. Retractable Gates gates are fully framed, with the four corners interconnected. This means that the gate is not dependent on the fixings only when an intruder is trying to lever it out. Anchor and strike jambs positioned over the bottom track add to the gate’s strength because they connect the bottom track to the sides of the barrier.
Corner cleats join the top track to the anchor and strike jambs. This provides increased strength as it connects the top track to the sides of the security barrier.
FLEXIBLE COLOUR RANGE
MATT LIGHT BROWN
Traditional Trellidor security gates come in 2 standard (White & Matt Bronze) and 5 non-standard colours (Sand, Light Brown. Matt Aluminium, Matt Charcoal and Matt Black). Special colours are available on request, allowing you to choose a colour to best suit your decor or your corporate colours.
All Trellidor products are finished in a state-of-the-art powder coating plant, as such the colours on this page will vary from the actual product colour. This is due to the difference in the way that light reflects off different mediums.
Corrosion Resistant Coating
The Trellidor powder coating system includes a pre-treatment process that enhances our products’ corrosion and UV resistance. The powder coating is ideal for coastal and inland conditions and increases the lifespan of the barrier by retaining its quality finish.
Traditional Trellidor Security Gate Usage
How to clean a Traditional Trellidor Security gate
If you clean and maintain your Traditional Trellidor security gates regularly they will slide easily and last longer, keeping you safe for many years. Cleaning and maintenance is also a condition of the warranty supplied with the slam lock or dead lock security gate when it is fitted by the Trellidor installer.
- Use a premium quality (salt free) car wash liquid, mixed with water as per manufacturer’s directions and a soft cotton cloth to clean the entire burglar gate.
- Hard to reach areas of the sliding security gate may require the use of a soft nylon bristle brush such as a dishwashing brush.
- Dry the security gate with a soft cotton cloth or chamois.
- Next, apply Trellidor lubricating spray (available from your local franchise) to all moving parts, especially all hinge points inside the channel sections and into the top tracks of the burglar gate.
- Shake the can of lubricating spray well, apply to a clean cotton cloth and wipe the entire retractable security gate, or spray directly onto it from a distance of about 20cm.
- Wipe the excess residue off the security gate. The lubricant will form a protective barrier against moisture and contamination by airborne pollutants.
- A second application may be required if the burglar gate has stood for too long without being lubricated and has become stiff, dry and difficult to operate.
- Never use abrasive cleaners, detergent-based cleaners, or solvent based cleaners like scouring agents, dishwashing liquids, washing powders, thinners etc. These could adversely affect the expected life of the sliding security gate.
- Do not spray into the keyhole of the dead lock or slam lock cylinder where the key fits!
- Remember to read the warnings on the lubricating spray label as the product is highly flammable, must not be ingested and is irritating to eyes and skin.
SLAMLOCK VS. DEADLOCK SECURITY GATES
Difference between slam lock & dead lock security gates
A Traditional Trellidor security gate fitted with a slam lock can be slammed shut and locks automatically. You’ll find this type of lock fitted to steel and aluminium trellis security gates that slide open and closed. A Traditional Trellidor security gate fitted with a deadlock is closed and then locked by turning a key in the lock and can be fitted to a similar type of security gate.
There is a misconception in the marketplace that slam locks are always the best for steel and aluminium security gates. But realistically, it is highly unlikely that you’ll ever need to slam a lock in an emergency. Home invaders are more likely to get into your home through a door that’s left unlocked. Or they try to break in through a door or window with no burglar gate or bars. So it is better to have a strong dead lock.
Interesting Facts about
Traditional Trellidor Gates
Traditional Trellidor Security gate locks are the strongest on the market and specially made for our gates.
Each Trellidor trellis gate has a computer cut key with a unique identifying number for added safety.
The Trellidor built-in quality control system checks Traditional Trellidor Security gates during every step of their journey to your door.
With Trellidor you can choose between steel or aluminium Traditional Trellidor Security gates.
PRODUCT WEB STORIES
Explore Our Retractable Security Web Stories
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The word ‘Trellidor’ is the brand name of South African security barrier manufacturer Trellidor. The company has been manufacturing steel sliding trellis-style safety gates for over 40 years. These are fitted to doors and windows to protect people from intruders.
Because the company has been supplying the security barrier market for four decades, the name ‘Trellidor’ is sometimes used by competitors to describe their own versions of sliding security gates. It is also used by some customers to refer to the sliding metal gates that they want for their homes and offices.
Sliding glass doors, whether they’re on doors or windows, are often left open for fresh air and to enjoy the view; but this can pose as a security risk. Traditional Trellidor gates in steel or aluminium solve this problem. They slide open and closed, just like the glass doors. This makes them a good match in terms of operation and won’t interfere with the workings of the glass door or window.
Trellidor locks are patented designs that are fitted using specialist tools. These tools are not easily available at hardware stores, which is one of the safety features built into Trellidor gates. But there are reasons for wanting to remove a Trellidor lock, such as:
* You’ve had an attempted break-in and the gate lock is damaged.
* You’ve moved into a new house with Trellidor gates, and you don’t have a full set of keys from the previous owners.
* You’ve dismissed an employee that may have a key to the gate.
* You’ve lost your keys and need to replace the locks for safety’s sake.
* Your Trellidor gate is several decades old, and you want the latest locks fitted.
* You’ve decided to have the same locks on all your gates for convenience’ sake i.e. keyed alike, rather than different locks and keys on all your security gates. In all these cases, you need to call in your local authorised Trellidor supplier to replace the locks for you. They will do it quickly and easily as they have the correct tools to do so.
If you try to do this yourself, you will find that the locks you purchase don’t fit. Plus, your warranty will no longer be valid.