Yes, security shutters can provide protection when the louvres are open. However, the level of safety that the shutters are capable of depends on how the louvre shutters are engineered. Some louvre shutters are flimsy and easy to break through. Others, such as Trellidor Louvre Shutterss, offer more resistance, stronger locks, and additional safety features.
Security shutters features
Security louvre shutters look similar to other types of louvre shutter. They are made from wood, PVC, or aluminium, or a combination of these materials.
Louvre shutters have the following features in common:
- A full four-sided frame
- Louvres, also called slats, blades, or louvers, inserted from the top to the bottom of the shutter frame
- A mechanism that allows the louvres to be tilted or rotated to different angles
- A lock that either locks into a matching shutter or into the lock stile
Louvre shutters are mainly fitted to windows as a decorative addition to home décor. They are used in place of blinds and curtains and are attractive because they are clean lined. Linear home decorations are very appealing and satisfying to the human brain because they create an impression of order.
Not all louvre shutter designs are security shutters, though. Most are purely decorative and do not offer any protection from intruders.
What makes the louvre shutter a security shutter?
Trellidor premium security shutters are a good example of what makes a louvre shutter a security shutter. It is a purpose-designed aluminium security louvre shutter with in-built strength.
What gives these shutters their strength against burglars trying to break inside a home are the following security shutter benefits and features:
- Reinforced louvre slats: every single slat is reinforced inside with a threaded steel bar along its entire length to strengthen the shutter. Most shutters do not have this hidden feature. Or they have some type of strengthening mechanism only part of the way along each louvre, not all the way from one end to the other.
- Strong locks: the shutters are fitted with a strong, patented Trellidor locking system. It is tamper-resistant when locked. It can be operated from both sides of the shutter, so if the louvre shutter is fitted to a doorway, you can lock or unlock it from either side. This means you will never be locked out of your own home. It also lets you lock the shutters if you’re outside enjoying your garden and don’t want to worry about intruders sneaking inside your home behind your back.
- The four-sided frame is tamper-proof: each shutter is custom-made for a precise, secure fit which makes it difficult for intruders or burglars to attempt to damage the frame and weaken the shutter.
- Reliable barrier to entry: when closed and locked, the louvre shutters stop burglars from getting inside your home. The louvres are not just a pretty home addition. They provide a visual barrier to burglars, sending the message that your home is well secured, and they deliver on promise.
- Open louvre protection: when the shutters are closed and locked, they provide protection even when the louvres are tilted open. The louvres in locked shutters can be rotated to your perfect position, letting in the light and air you need, while keeping you safe inside.
- Proven strength: the shutters have been extensively attack tested to prove their reliability. Trellidor attack tests all products on a regular basis to ensure they live up to the standards expected of a security barrier manufacturing company.
Are you safe when security shutter louvres are left open?
If you choose Trellidor Premium Louvre Shutterss, they will keep you as safe as any other Trellidor burglar bar and security gate design. These louvre shutters have been engineered to look beautiful and provide a high degree of safety and protection, even when the louvres are left open.
With this design, customers can choose the split of connected slats according to their light and privacy preferences. You may, for example, want the upper half of the slats joined together so that you can close them for privacy, while leaving the bottom slats open for air and light.
It is important that the shutters are properly locked when you need to tilt the louvres into the best position for your home. Tilted or rotated louvres allow you to:
- Let in light, particularly sunlight
- Block out the sun when it is too harsh and hot
- Enjoy your view of the outside
- Create your ultimate level of privacy from neighbours
- Allow air to flow into your home
- Control the internal climate as far as possible
Like all Trellidor security barriers, Trellidor Louvre Shutters is custom-made to fit the opening and its specific requirements, so there is no standard price. These shutters are available through authorised Trellidor outlets countrywide and they will gladly measure the opening and give you a quotation.