Here’s how to choose the right door barriers for critical areas within your safe zone. Armed with this information you’ll be able to create a secure haven to retreat to at home or work.
Secure your safe zone with recommended Trellidor products
We’ve talked about what a safe zone is and why you need one and given you a check list of what you need inside this area to make it work for you. Now it’s time to talk about the security barrier products you need to lock down your safe zone.
Our Trellidor franchises in South Africa and distributors in other countries are very experienced at creating secure havens. They are often on the scene of a robbery quite soon after an incident because customers panic after a traumatic event and want their homes secured as quickly as possible.
Forward planning is obviously the better option, so here is our experts short list of which Trellidor barrier is best suited to the openings you need to secure once you’ve selected an area as your safe zone.
Shut down your main access doorway with a roller shutter
The main point of entry to your safe haven is usually a passageway or staircase and the recommended product to block it off to intruders is a Trellidor Rollerstyle aluminium shutter. It has a compact shutter box that can be hidden in a door or ceiling cavity in some instances. Roller shutters don’t need a bottom track so there is no trip hazard.
If you live in a multi-storied home, then consider installing these shutters on upstairs veranda doors to keep intruders out as well as provide an escape route from them (remember to store a ladder upstairs for this, though).
The new range of Trellidor roller shutter motors includes a super-fast option that closes 30% faster than any other on the market. Once locked down, the shutter can’t be opened again. The intruder doesn’t see you on the other side and can’t grab hold of you either. This motor is also great for narrow doorways as it doesn’t require much space.
We advise customers to ask for a punched viewing panel to be inserted at eye level so that you can see what’s happening through this panel; and another punched panel at ankle height so that you can still see the intruder if he crouches down to avoid the eye level viewing panel.
Safe zone shutters are usually automated and operated using a hand-held remote or wall-mounted control panel. Make sure that the wall panel is fitted inside your safe zone, not on the outside where the intruder can use it to open the shutter, and that it is positioned at a height easily accessible to everyone in the home, including children and wheelchair bound people.
Trellidor Rollerstyle shutters have additional unique features to consider:
- Ask for battery back-up in case of power outages.
- Or opt for a DC motor that lasts for about 40 cycles without power. It is not super-fast, operating at the same speed as most motors, and is also noisier. But the upside is that it can be fitted with a solar panel that takes you off the electricity grid something worth considering especially in areas with frequent power shortages.
- You can link your shutter in to your home automation system for ease of operation.
- Safety sensors on roller shutters can be very useful as they can detect obstacles and avoid tragic accidents such as closing on children or pets.
- Multi-channel remote controls that allow you to add other shutters in the future without having to purchase another remote control.
- Key ring remotes are available for your convenience.
Other Trellidor products to consider for doorways
Trellidor Retractable security gates are popular for passages and staircases, especially since they only need one key in a single lock to shut down the safe zone.
Trellidor Clear Guard hinged doors are an attractive option with excellent strengthening features.