The winter season is a time when most of us are thinking of ways that we can stay warm, that we might forget about our home’s security. The shorter days and longer nights that come with the winter season can be a perfect opportunity for burglars to commit crime, which is why we all need to remain vigilant during this time.
The drop in temperature that we experience in winter can present is with opportunities for joy the cosiest season of all where we can hibernate in our homes until spring arrives. However, we are not the only ones who see this season as being one filled with endless opportunities. Burglars thrive in the winter season as the longer nights that we experience mean that they have the perfect opportunity to commit crime since they have more time to lurk around your house. To avoid becoming a victim of a break-in you need to eliminate certain things that make your home vulnerable. Below are some tips that you need to be mindful of when approaching the winter season.
- Tidy your outdoor spaceThe maintenance of your outdoor space is not only for aesthetic reasons, but it has some security benefits. Most people tend to take on DIY projects in warmer seasons which they do not end up finishing by the time winter arrives. They must leave around tools scattered around the garden thinking that they will have time to complete those projects in winter, but that never happens. Leaving those tools lying around could attract the attention of anyone trying to break-in. Those same tools, especially power tools could be used to assist them in breaking the windows or the doors. You should also ensure that you keep your lawn and shrubs trimmed as well as these could be used as hiding places by burglars.
- Think about your lightingLighting not only improves the way your home looks, but it can be used to improve your home’s security. Therefore, you should not overlook it. Since burglars take advantage of reduced daylight, lighting can greatly reduce your chances of experiencing a break-in. Nowadays, there are so many options of outdoor and indoor lighting that you can choose from such as:
- Smart lights: Smart lights contain software that allows you to connect the lighting to an app, which is what make them easier to manage as you could do so remotely on your smartphone, tablet or smart assistant which eliminates your need to use traditional wall switches. Another great benefit of smart lights is that you have the option to brighten or dim the lights.
- Flood lights: These lights are used to illuminate outdoor spaces. They offer a broad light angle and are resistant to weather elements such as rain so you can use them in more spacious or darker areas.
- Motion sensor lights: These lights are probably one of the most advanced lights as they only switch on whenever they detect movement. That is what makes them a great crime deterrent as they will scare away intruders as well as alert you when movement is detected.
- Lock your doors and windows
Locking your doors might seem like an obvious thing to do, especially before you leave your home or when you are about to go to bed, but it is something that we do not always do. Around 34% of break-ins that occur, the burglars make use of the front doors to enter the home. If you have a habit of forgetting to lock your doors, then you could set reminders on your phone to do so. You could also lock your door as soon as you walk through them.Another option that is effective for those who are forgetful is installing smart locks as they eliminate the need to use a key and they allow users the option to lock and unlock their home through a smartphone, tablet or smart assistant. With smart locks, you can receive an activity log each time your door is opened and you are able to give every user their own access code.
- Keep house keys safeOne of the things that could potentially compromise your home’s security is leaving your house keys in plain sight. There is a tendency to hide keys under doormats, plant pots or fake rocks, but burglars already know that so those are the first places that they would look for keys. So you might be wondering where you should hide the keys so that if house sisters or your children misplace their key, there is always hidden, it is in fact a bad idea. Hiding your keys anywhere around your house could have dire consequences, therefor you should avoid hiding keys.
- Choose the right security camerasWe already know that security cameras offer plenty of security benefits as they act as deterrents for potential burglaries that might occur. Nowadays, security cameras have become much more affordable, but it is important that you choose security cameras that can survive winter weather. All security cameras contain information regarding their recommended working temperature which is found on the product page. If you expose a camera to temperatures that are lower than their recommended working temperatures, then it could affect the camera’s meds or cause it to stop working. Therefore ,to avoid this, you should clean your security camera before winter approaches and you should continue doing so once every month during winter with a soft cloth.
- Invest in an alarm systemAlarm systems are one of the best methods that you could make use of to keep your home safe from break-ins. They serve as a great deterrent from criminals thinking of breaking in as they are easy to spot. An added benefit of alarm systems is that if a break in were to occur, then your alarm company would be notified immediately.
Winter might be a time when we can snuggle up and relax, but that does not mean that we should be relaxed when it comes to our home’s security. You should ensure that you remain vigilant and make any improvements necessary to maintain the safety of your home.