Cottage Guard burglar bars are a great way to protect your windows from intruders. They are neat, strong and can be made to match cottage pane windows so that you hardly notice them. Like all fittings in your home, they need regular maintenance and cleaning to keep them in good condition. This will ensure they last, giving you many years of service.
Burglar bar cleaning tips
Burglar bar maintenance is not difficult, but there are some rules to follow so that you comply with the warranty supplied by your installer.
Security barrier manufacturer Trellidor recommends the following tips to clean your burglar proofing:
- Use a premium quality (salt free) car wash liquid, mixed with water as per the manufacturer’s directions, and a soft cotton cloth to clean the entire unit.
- Hard to reach areas may require the use of a soft nylon bristle brush such as a dishwashing brush.
- Dry the Cottage Guard unit with a soft cotton cloth or chamois.
These cleaning tips apply to all burglar bar designs, not just Cottage Guard. They also apply to both steel and aluminium burglar proofing as well as other materials such as Polycarbonate panels.
To protect your Cottage Guard security barriers against moisture and contamination by airborne pollutants it is advisable to lubricate your burglar proofing after cleaning the units. This is especially important if you live near the sea, where the air is very corrosive, or in a polluted city.
Trellidor supplies a lubricating spray, available from your local Trellidor franchise, as a protective coating to be used as follows:
- Shake the can of lubricating spray well, then apply it to a clean cotton cloth.
- Wipe the entire unit using this cloth.
- Or spray the lubricant directly onto the unit from a distance of about 20cm.
- Then wipe off the excess residue with your cloth.
This will form a protective barrier against moisture and damage caused by pollution. You may need a second application if your Cottage Guard burglar proofing has not been thoroughly cleaned for a long period of time.
Remember to read the warnings on the Trellidor Lubricating Spray label as the product is highly flammable. It must not be ingested and is irritating to eyes and skin, so it is advisable to wear rubber gloves when cleaning and lubricating your burglar bars.
Burglar bar maintenance: how often?
How often you need to clean your Cottage Guard burglar bars will depend on where you live. If you are more than 10km away from the coast, then once every six months is the minimum.
If you live five to ten kilometres from the coast, then you should clean your burglar bars at least once every two to three months. Closer to the sea, however, it must be done more regularly to ensure that the burglar proofing remains undamaged by sea air.
If your home is located within 500m of the beachfront, then you should be cleaning burglar bars and other fittings once a week. Between 500m and five kilometres of the beachfront, once every two to four weeks is best.
Note that ‘beachfront’ means the breaking surf and the air borne moisture that comes off it.
There are two other points to note here:
- Fresh water lakes are not considered as marine areas.
- Heavy industrial areas are considered as marine environments because of the air pollution they create.
The benefits of burglar bar maintenance
The maintenance intervals may sound like a big job, but the same principle should apply to all your fittings. Just about everything corrodes or rusts at the beachfront. Think about how often one has to repaint buildings and repair and paint window frames and doors at the coast.
Inland, the conditions are easier on your home. You do not have to repaint walls as often and windows and doors don’t deteriorate as quickly. But you still have to look after them to make sure they last a long time and do the job you expect of them.
The benefits of regular cleaning and maintenance:
- It gives you the opportunity to check on the condition of your fixtures and fittings.
- If you notice any damage, rust, or corrosion, you can fix it early so that it doesn’t become a major problem.
- Because you are inspecting your burglar bars regularly, you will spot any signs of weakness or tampering and be able to get repairs or replacements done before a break-in occurs.
- Well-maintained burglar proofing is usually not noticeable but tatty, dirty burglar proofing definitely detracts from your home’s good looks.
- Burglar proofing in good working order adds value to your home.
- It also ensures that you are always kept safe.
If you have any queries about how to care for your Cottage Guard burglar bars, contact your local Trellidor outlet for assistance.
Find out more about Cottage Guard burglar proofing