Being able to sit out on a patio, enjoying fresh air and sunlight, is one of the great joys of living in a warm country like South Africa. But they can also be an easy access point for criminals, especially if we’re prone to leaving doors and windows open, as most of us are. There is a solution: patio security gates that suits your lifestyle as well as your pocket.
Whether it’s a petty thief looking to steal small electronic devices or home invaders with more serious intentions, a security barrier is a cost-effective way of keeping them out and you safe inside your entertainment zone, whether it’s:
- A ground or first floor apartment balcony.
- A large suburban patio leading onto a garden.
- A small patio off a simplex or duplex in a housing cluster.
- A home on a golf or eco-estate with a patio that shows off the view.
- Or a home inside a gated community.
Even if you have a burglar alarm, you still need physical barriers around your patio area. This is because most of us switch our alarms off when home, and this is when criminals will try their luck at your home.
Prior to the start of the lockdowns due to Covid-19, the most common times for criminals to attempt a break-in was between 5.00am and 9.00am in the morning and between 5.00pm and 9.00pm at night. This was because people were home, doors and windows were open, and alarms switched off.
With less strict lockdowns in place and more people working from home, these break-in opportunities have broadened as we have become less vigilant about home security, being at home all day.
The most practical solution to improving security at these times is to fit physical barriers to entry, meaning gates on exit doors, burglar bars on windows, and something to block access from the patio.
There are many different patio security designs to choose from, so let’s consider two of the most popular options, sliding security gate and roller shutter doors, both made by Trellidor.
Steel and aluminium sliding security gates are a cost-effective answer to home safety, particularly if you have a spacious patio. This is also known as expandable security because the gates stack neatly to the side when you don’t need them, and then expand when you slide them closed along a bottom track.
Sliding gates can be fitted to just about any size opening, from small city apartment balconies to large outdoor entertainment areas. They are an effective deterrent to criminals if they are good quality and will give you many years of protection.
Although slam lock security gates are available, they are not the best type of lock to choose. The benefit is that it locks automatically when you slam it shut. One of the dangers is that you can easily lock yourself out of your own house.
Also, it is exceedingly rare that you will need to slam your gate shut in the face of a criminal. They are more likely to have walked into your home through a door or security gate that has been left open.
A better option is a dead lock, which requires a key to open and close it. These lock securely with a single throw or turn of the key, locking in several places in the lock stile, not just in one place, adding to its strength.
This design is stronger design than a slam lock. No activation is needed to lock the gate and there is no danger of locking yourself out or of children accidently locking themselves in a room or outside the home.
In terms of appearance, you will be looking out through trellis-style bars when the gates are closed and locked, but it’s a small price to pay for being safe. The gates can be opened when you want to get into your garden or pool area.
On the plus side, when the gates are closed and locked for safety reasons, you get great airflow through them. And if you have little dogs, they can generally squeeze through the bars to get in and out. Cut-out ‘doggy doors’ for bigger dogs are discouraged, however, as they weaken the gates and negate the product’s guarantee.
Retractable or sliding gates can be livened up with a bit of colour, so they don’t have to be white. Consider bolder options like black, aluminium or charcoal or perhaps a colour to match your door and window frames.
Trellidor sliding security gates are given an anti-corrosion treatment before they are powder coated in the colour of your choice. This extends their lifespan in all areas including the coast.
In summary, the benefits of picking retractable security gates for your patio are:
- There are several different models to choose from in terms of strength and cost.
- They are cost-effective when you balance the cost of installing them against the many years they’ll keep you safe.
- If custom-made, they provide a high level of protection when closed and locked.
- When fitted next to glass patio doors, the sliding security gates can be unlocked and opened for easy cleaning.
- Sliding gates do not require electricity so they’re always there to protect you even during power outages.
Roller shutter doors
Roller shutter doors are made up of slats that roll up and down inside guides fitted into the wall. They roll up into a shutter box, completely out of sight when you don’t need them. They are an excellent choice for patios for this reason because when rolled up, they completely reveal your view of the outside.
Trellidor Rollerstyle rolling shutters are made from aluminium and when automated, they open and close at the touch of a button. This makes them easy to use and convenient to operate.
They provide a complete lock-down when closed, providing a high level of protection. In the closed position, roller shutter doors protect you from wind and rain, which means that you can enjoy your outdoor area no matter what the weather.
Patio roller shutters made by Trellidor have the following benefits:
- They are made from aluminium, so they’re lighter than steel but still incredibly robust.
- They can be fully automated and controlled using hand-held remotes or a control panel fixed to the wall.
- Automated shutters can be integrated into a Smart Home central control system.
- They roll up into a neat, compact shutter box when not in use.
- They can be retrofitted.
- With forward planning for a new build or alteration, the shutter box can be concealed in a wall or ceiling cavity so that the shutter is completely out of sight when rolled up into the shutter box.
- The shutters don’t require much space as they slide up and down inside narrow side guide channels that can be recessed into the wall.
- No bottom track is necessary, so there is no cutting into the floor and no tripping hazard.
Trellidor shutters prices
Like all Trellidor security barriers, Trellidor Rollerstyle rolling shutters and Retractable security gates are custom-made to fit the opening and its specific requirements, so there is no standard price. Trellidor security barriers are available through authorised Trellidor franchises countrywide and they will gladly measure the opening and give a quotation.
Get a quote on your pick for your patio
Find your nearest authorised Trellidor outlet